Thursday, September 23, 2010

Movie Review: Easy A

Okay, so Easy A is about a girl who pretends to be a whore. Sound bad? Well, it's not as bad as you think. You've got to see the movie. You'll understand. Movie, cast, director, audience, then grade and final note, you know the drill.

So I pretty much just explained the essential plot. If I said anything else, it would ruin the film. Watch the trailer for it if you want more (apparently one of my friends didn't even know the film existed, he clearly hadn't seen the trailer). One thing I will say about it, the subtext in the film is absolutely brilliant. On the surface, the film has a bunch of satire, comedy, and bullshit. Underneath it all, amazing insight into society. Great stuff on the surface and deep within.

Emma Stone, caught my interest in Superbad, developed as an actress in Zombieland, now has the lead role, she's become quite the good actress. Penn Badgley, a CW star, don't know much about him, didn't learn much about him from the film, but he's cool. Amanda Bynes, had her own TV show once, as far as movies go, she gets supporting roles that are very important to the film it seems, this one's no exception. Thomas Haden Church, I've seen him in a lot of obscure movies I've watched (including Spider-Man 3, ZING!), I like him as an actor. Patricia Clarkson, don't know much about her, worth the mention though. Stanley Tucci, read the previous sentence. Cam Gigandet, apparently James from Twilight, he clearly has a better role in Easy A. Aly Michalka, worth the mention. Lisa Kudrow, haven't seen her since Friends, loved her role in this film. Malcolm McDowell, A Clockwork Orange himself, also had a role on Heroes, my mind nearly exploded with amazement when I saw him appear on screen. Finally, if you see the film, you'll recognize the pastor character, he's worth the mention too, not saying who it is, though.

Will Gluck, the director. He directed and co-wrote Fired Up as well. Loved that film. This guy knows how to make me laugh. He hasn't done much else worth mentioning yet, though.

Audience. Okay, so, this is a date movie. No denying that. You'll see a bunch of couples their. Yes I did go with a lady friend myself. Key word in that last sentence: friend. But I digress. A big group of young High School or College students were in the audience as well, but they remained quiet, I was pleased.

Final note. I almost wrote another Scott Pilgrim blog, but it turns out, this movie's ending was in fact different than Scott Pilgrim's ending. I would get into why, but I don't need to and you probably don't want to read it, I sure wouldn't. Easy A has plenty of awesome subtext, a good ending believe it or not (for what it wanted to accomplish), and a really amazing message. It was nicely put together and was different than most of the crap Hollywood dishes out. Overall, I give Easy A an A, "for awesome," it's a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment