Thursday, September 23, 2010

Movie Review: Lottery Ticket

So I saw Lottery Ticket a while ago, the 6th to be exact. I should start off by saying that I liked the film. Yes, you read that correctly, I liked Lottery Ticket. Okay, so, same formula as usual. First, the movie. Then the cast. Followed by the audience (I'm not doing director because he's not that important for this one, I'm not doing producer because it's Ice Cube). Finally, I'll end with a grade and final note. Let's get this party started!

When Lottery Ticket hit theaters I kept hearing review after review saying it was the "Friday" for our generation. For those of you who aren't aware, Friday, Next Friday, and Friday After Next are apart of the Friday Trilogy, movies about Ice Cube living in "the hood." Let me just say, Lottery Ticket really is the Friday for our generation. It's essentially about Bow Wow living in "the hood". Both the Trilogy and Lottery Ticket also have that laid back feel to it. What I mean by this is that in the Friday Trilogy, most of the movie is spent walking (literally walking) the character to each important plot progressing destination. The first 15min of Lottery Ticket is spent getting Bow Wow's character to work. Here's the thing, for most people, that sounds like a terrible film. Granted, for most Lottery Ticket will be a terrible film. However, I'm a fan of "Black People Comedy" (not trying to be racist, so don't get me wrong.) I liked all of the Friday movies. I even liked BarberShop and I own Barber Shop 2. So, I liked Lottery Ticket, 'nuff said.

Let's break the cast down now, shall we. Bow Wow, the last film I saw him in was Like Mike (which I liked), he doesn't do much as an actor, which I guess is a good thing, not saying he's bad, just saying I like him more as a rapper. Brandon T. Jackson, this guy was the funniest character in the film, not surprising, he had the best role in The Lightning Thief and a pretty good role in Tropic Thunder, this guy needs to be in more movies. Naturi Naughton, (who?), exactly. Loretta DeVine, I think she played the mother, if it was her, she was good. Ice Cube, well, he played an old guy, he's only 41, I guess it worked, so, yeah, make your own judgements. Keith David, loved him in the Riddick movies, he does a lot of voice acting but has a familiar face (he's the voice of the freaken Arbiter in the Halo series), he did well in his role. Terry Crews, this guy is hilarious in all the stuff I've seen him in. Charlie Murphy, when did he get more famous than his really famous brother? Probably when Eddie was caught with that transvestite prostitute, but I digress. The rest of the cast didn't seem all that important.

The audience. I want to say I was 1 of 6 people again (or was it 8? I'm too lazy to check). I want to say more people saw this than Vampires Suck. The audience wasn't that annoying from what I remember, but you always risk the fat black lady who likes to comment on the film (don't call me racist, she exists, first hand experiences).

Because this review has gone on too long for a movie I saw almost a moth ago I'll finish it quick. No big final note, you'll get what you want to expect from the film, whatever that is. I give it a C, make it a rental, most people will want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment