Friday, June 17, 2011

Movie Review: Super 8

Hello again person reading this blog post. I bring you yet another movie review because I like writing these and I keep seeing movies. Today we'll take a look at J.J. Abrams tribute to Spielberg, Super 8. Let's get this started!




The first thing I want to talk about is audience. More specifically: people who think it's okay to hold a conversation throughout the entire film. Honestly, if you're one of those people, I have a question for you. What is so damn important that you have to talk about it during the entire film? What?! So much work went into making the film, so much work goes into making pretty much every film and you're going to be disrespectful to both the people who made the movie and the people who are watching it by TALKING DURING THE FILM!!!! WHY?! What's so important that you have to ruin a $50,000,011 (for their budget and my movie ticket) experience? Answer me these questions, please! Anyways, now that that's over, let us move on.




Now we'll take a look at the director of the film Steven Spielberg, I mean J.J. Abrams. He's just a wonderful person, ol' J.J. It seems that Abrams can pretty much make anything good (except for Superman, but that's a story for a different day). Granted, the movie did have Abrams' signature camera flares, but it didn't have as much as Star Trek did and just like in that movie, they gave the film a nostalgic feel. Camera flares=nostalgia because older films used to have them unintentionally and Abrams has decided to embrace what was once considered ugly.




I was going to shorten this section on cast because I thought the movie was filled with a bunch of child actors and nobodies, but then I found out that this film is filled with a bunch of child actors and nobodies... that I recognize. All the kids did well in the film even the large kid who said "mint" a lot and Elle Fanning (younger sister of Dakota Fanning). Freaken Bruce Greenwood was somewhere in the film (he was Capt. Pike in the Star Trek movie). Noah Emmerich, who played the friend in The Truman Show, was the military guy (I knew I had recognized him.) Greg Grunberg, who has known J.J. since childhood, had a small cameo as always. That pretty much covers the cast I wanted to talk about.




As a tribute to Spielberg's E.T. and Close Encounters, Super 8 is one awesome film! It knew just the right things to do to pay homage to older works, something Bryan Singer failed at with Superman Returns. I enjoyed so many scenes in the film simply because they reminded me of E.T. and Close Encounters, the themes featured in the movie where very reminiscent of those films, and hell, they even managed to fit in an anti-drug message (kudos Abrams). But the movie wasn't without it's fautls. Because the movie was made to be like E.T. and Close Encounters I felt like it didn't have any suspence. I found myself predicting everything that was going to happen simply because I've seen a Spielberg film or two in my life. This note doesn't drag the film down, you've just got to accept it and enjoy the film otherwise. As a tribute to both amateur film making and Spielberg films this movie is epic, as anything else, it would have been lacking.




All in all, Super 8 was a pretty good film. Popular too. Everyone I know has seen it or will see it. This, of course, means a higher chance of viewing it with people who talk during the film. Please, if you're one of those people, remain silent during the film and if you're a friend of these people, make sure they keep their mouths shut. That being said I give this film a: B-. GASP, a minus!!! Yeah, saying a C for rental would not be giving the movie credit. It's nowhere near as epic as Star Trek was, but it's a pretty good film. If you loved E.T. and/or Close Encounters definitely see it if you get the chance (which is a B), for the rest of you, if you don't see it until it comes out on DvD, I won't hate you, it's okay. That's all I have to say, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment