Monday, March 19, 2012

Movie Review: 21 Jump Street

Who would have thought that Channing Tatum could be funny? Not to sound like I'm typcasting him, hollywood's doing a good job of that. He typically gets cast as the boyfriend role in a romance. It is for this reason that 21 Jump Street will blow your mind, and your wallet, 'cause you're gonna wanna see it over and over again.

For those of us who were not alive in the 80's, 21 Jump Street is about some young looking cops who go undercover at high schools to do things like drug busts and whatnot. The original 21 Jump was taken seriously as a drama. But in the same nature as Starsky and Hutch and The Dukes of Hazzard, serious shit from back in the day gets made into a comedy film. So lets talk about what makes this funny, we'll start with the acting of course.

I mentioned Channing Tatum already, but I didn't mention that he's the funniest one in the movie. Which isn't an insult to Jonah but a compliment to Channing, he was hilarious, I laughed the most during his scenes. That being said, Jonah Hill isn't that bad either, he just plays the character like typical Jonah Hill. Ice Cube did the same thing, he played Ice Cube. But the two are known for comedy and some people like them, the rest should see 21 Jump for Tatum. You shoul also see it for Ellie Kemper, who you may know as Erin from the Office, she also did a few things for the guys at Derrick Comedy... she was also born in Kansas City, I think I'm in love. One last thing, James Franco's younger brother is in this film and now that I know they're related, I can totally see the family resemblance, see if you can spot which role he plays when/if you see it.

I don't want to mention the two directors specifically, 'cause they're jack of all trades who have done a bunch of stuff across hollywood. So I'll just say that the directing and writing was great, there was comedy, action, and comedy-action.

Looks like this review was mostly about the acting, so I'll just leave you with a few positive comments. This movie is funny in many different kinds of ways and is all around good movie to see. I can't guarantee you'll enjoy it, but I can assume you probably will. That being said I give this movie an A+, best comedy of 2012 thus far, if you see it, take me with you, I'd like to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment