Thursday, March 29, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

Here are a 1,001 things I liked about this film in natural succession.

1,001: Just kidding, although if you gave me enough time I could name at least a couple of hundred things I liked about The Hunger Games. The first thing I've got to say is that it was intense. I don't sit on the edge of my seat for most movies and when I do it's usually because I have to go to the bathroom. But my goodness this movie just pulls you in and keeps you going throughout. All of the acting was exquisite. This is the part where I usually talk about each actor I liked, but if I did that you'd die of starvation before you finished reading. I'm only going to mention the lead actress and that's only because I liked her character more in the movie than I have from the parts that I've read in book. (I've only actually read up to the part where Katniss trains for the games.)

Second thing I can mention is the directing. I have to mention the directing here because it was some of the finest directing I've seen in a movie. Granted, the movie had odd directing at one or two moments, but when it was good it was great and it was 98% good directing. *SPOILER* The scene where Rue dies, it made me question life and death, it was all sorts of powerful and moving. *END SPOILER*

The final thing I feel I should bring up in this review is the weird controversy surrounding the casting of this film. Apparently people got really racist over the casting of the characters Rue and Cinna as black people, because they didn't view the characters to be dark skinned. I think this is some weird marketing strategy and the whole thing is set up. One of the things you'll hear is that they're pretty much described as African American in the book. Rue has "satiny brown skin," that's a direct quote, google search that for second and laugh at the stupidity of people who apparently don't know what satiny brown looks like. Either way, both actors did extremely well, freaken Lenny Kravitz played Cinna. Yes, THE Lenny "I'll make you wet with my words when I sing to you" Kravitz.

Anyways, that's all I've really got say. I give this movie an A++, see it, even if you haven't read the book. Or at least read up to Chapter 5 to get the gist of what you need to know about weird things like what the hell a Mockingjay is. In fact, I'm afraid to read the sequels because I don't want them to spoil the movies! It may just be my opinion, but I think the movie may just be better than the book, I'll let you know when I finish reading it. Thank you for reading this, enjoy your day, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment