Monday, July 19, 2010

Movie Review: Inception

I barely know how to begin this review. Part of me wants to just keep typing the word awesome continuously. I'm going to try to make this movie review as coherent as possible, hope you can follow along. I'll begin with the movie itself of course, then cast, then director, then audience, then the grade I give, then the final note.
Okay, so without risking any spoilers, here it goes. The movie is hands down the best movie all year, when magazines say "Best Movie of the Year," they're actually talking about this film. It has so many good things going for it, original plot, great idea, and of course awesome graphics. The entire weightless stuff you see in the commercial... wait to you see it in the film in its entirety. It's just, mind blowing: all the stuff they pull off in the film. The best part is, you can't really scream "Fake!" with any of the effects, because it partly takes place in a dream world, just chock it up to that. They also filmed on location and, in one case, partly on location for pretty much every scene in the film. Also, they constructed an entire set for one of the best effects in the film, the weightlessness. So CGI was only used when absolutely necessary. That being said, the movie was awesome.
The cast was filled with a wide range of actors, a few of which Christopher Nolan has worked with before, such as: Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy. Leonardo Di Caprio is an all around well respected and great actor, he did amazing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, from 3rd Rock to the big screen, he's growing as an actor and I totally want to see him in more movies. Ellen Page, goodness I hated Juno, but she did wonderful in Inception, which is the only other movie I've seen her in. Tom Hardy, unknown to me, but did well in the role he played. Marion Cotillard, apparently she was in my favorite movie Big Fish, this means she knows how to get roles in good movies. Cillian Murphy, loved him as the Scarecrow, I want to see him in more of Nolan's films because of this movie. Ken Watanabe, had a very dynamic role, I didn't know what to think of his character at first, but in the end, I liked him. Oh, and, Michael Caine was cool too.
Christopher Nolan. This guy practically invented Batman. Goodness this guy can make a film. Batman Begins was cool and of course The Dark Knight blew everyone's mind. Inception takes the mind blowing a lot further. All of his previous films have received incredible reviews. I need to watch this guy's work. It's going to be a damn shame if Nolan ever looses his groove. A damn shame. I don't want to see him end up like M. Night.
Okay, so the movie goers. The people behind me kept making some weird type of noise, I hate a noisy audience. The audience seemed riveted, a few whispers here and there, but that was because pretty much everyone was just immersed into the film and didn't know quite how to express themselves. Audience was good is what I'm trying to say.
I told myself that when I created the letter grading for movies I wouldn't give +'s or -'s, I'm breaking my rule for this one. I'm doing this because the movie is that awesome, I give it an A+!
Final note. Let me just say, this movie gives Hollywood the finger. For years now, Hollywood has been unoriginal and has dished out a lot of fake, and not to mention, crappy films. Pulse, 28 Weeks Later, anything beyond X-Men 3 in that franchise, all of that is crap. Movies these day's are either sequels that begin to suck, based off of books and are therefore unoriginal, remakes, or "remakes" with a "different" plot of earlier films. Inception makes up for all the horrible crap Hollywood's presented, at least within the past decade I'd say. Inception has a great cast, intriguing ideas, and an original and gripping plot. This movie deserves more academy awards than the Lord of the Rings trilogy got. But winning these awards would be an insult to Nolan, because it would be Hollywood giving out their annual "Unoriginal Movie of the Year" awards to a film that was actually original and very well done. If the Academy had any sense, they'd abolish the awards ceremony and crown Christopher Nolan "King of all things movie", then Nolan will hence forth decide what movies deserve what awards. Inception was that good in my opinion. Go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment